Monday, September 28, 2009

Slander/Gossip

Slander and gossip are two words which can give us the "shivers" as we know the destructiveness of them! The word for slander is the same word that is used to describe Satan who is the "father of lies" (John 8:44). To slander is to side with Satan to oppose the cause of God! Scripture tells us that God hates a lying tongue (Prov. 6:16,19), that false teachers and the unsaved are slanderers (1 Tim. 6:3-4, Rom. 1:28-30) and that we are commanded to keep our lips from evil (Psalm 34:13). We know the truth, but why do we have such a problem with slander and gossip? Why is it that our tongue gets us into so much trouble in this area?

2 comments:

Sara said...

I once had a wise teacher who told me to think of my life as an open book - that all could see and look into at any given time... This has come to mind many times when I have been tempted to let my mouth talk and not pray before speaking. Would I utter the same words infront of my husband? Sunday School teacher? pastor? If not, I need to remember that my life IS an open book - and many are watching/listening. What can I say today that would encourage others to seek the Lord..
"Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in Thy sight, oh Lord my strength and my redeemer."
Thank you for reminding me this morning to guard my mouth (and my ears :) - especially as I teach my boys at home today. May the Lord bless this ministry, as you strive to serve Him.
In Christ,
Sara R.

Sarah said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! The verse you shared is an amazing one to meditate on throughout each day. So thankful for God's Word which encourages us to do (and say) those things that are God-honoring. Praying the Lord will give you strength to use your words for His glory.