Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A Condemning Heart

1 John 3:20 is a tough one to wrap our minds around! We hope that we can help make this verse clear and we pray that through our discussion on this that we can help you understand more of what the Scriptures say regarding "guilty" feelings. This verse says, "for whenever our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and he knows everything." What does John mean when he talks about this condemning heart? This condemning heart is is NOT a conviction of the Holy Spirit. It is rather a "feeling" that our sinful self gives to us when we might feel guilty about a situation in which we need not feel guilt. It might be that you feel guilty about something that God does not condemn - say missing a morning of devotions for example. The point is that our hearts are deceitful (Jeremiah 17:9) and this verse tells us that God is greater than our hearts. I need not feel guilty if I know in Scripture that God does not condemn me. So in our example of missing devotions, is it a sin that I didn't get up to have my quiet time with God in the morning - No! Rather, I need to understand the importance of having quiet time. I should then seek to have quiet time with God at another point in the day. This is especially an important principle for new moms. I can relate - I have a baby in the home and I know how hard it is to just sit and read God's Word and pray at times. So what we need to do is take advantage of the time we have and spend time with God when there is opportunity and making sure you are using your time wisely. Meditate on His Word through the day, singing songs of praise to Him as you are even washing dishes! Do not condemn yourself that you can't study for 30 minutes a day - that is not what matters to God. There are many other life circumstances where this can apply, this is just one example. What do you think? Have you found yourself condemning yourself in a situation? Please share your thoughts:)

No comments: